Software for viewing, converting and processing space image data
- eLynx Lab - Windows & Linux image processing tools. Supports the conversion of gray images with the Bayer matrix.
- Free Software for Planetary Science - Tools for viewing and processing Mariner, Venera, Viking Orbiter, and Cassini Orbiter image data; finished images can be saved in BMP or FITS format; by Piotr Masek
- GIMP - Popular image editor
- ImageJ - Java-based image processing package
- ImageJ Plugins - Plugins for Astronomical Image Processing with ImageJ; offers a "Debayer" plugin which creates a colour image from an input Bayer matrix
- ImageTOOLSca - A package with two applications for image viewing and processing, mainly for FITS images; by Carsten A. Arnholm
- IMG2PNG - Command-line program for converting entire folders of PDS and other formatted files to PNG; removes reseau marks from Voyager, Viking, Mariner 9 and Mariner 10 images; by Björn Jónsson
- IrfanView - Popular graphic viewer; by installing the plugins package, IrfanView supports the JPEG 2000 format
- j2k - A free Photoshop and After Effects plug-in for reading and writing the JPEG 2000 file format
- JPG Deinterlace - Small GUI-based standalone program for deinterlacing JPEG files; provides excellent results; no installation required, just unpack the ZIP file
- Loader for NASA/ESA PDS/EDR images - GIMP Plugin
- PDS Reader - Plugin for ImageJ; opens and displays PDS image files
- SmillaEnlarger - Open source graphical tool to resize, especially magnify images in high quality
- The ESA/ESO/NASA FITS Liberator - Standalone and open source image processing software; supports the FITS and PDS file formats
Image stitching software
- AutoPano - Automatic Panorama Recognising Tool for Panotools
- AutoPano Pro - Panorama stitching software
- AutoStitch - Capable of stitching panoramas completely automatically, whether in 1D (horizontal) or in 2D (horizontal and vertical).
- Creating panoramas with PanoTools and PTGui - A basic guide for using PanoTools together with PTGui. In German language.
- Hugin - A useful cross-platform GUI for Helmut Dersch's Panorama Tools
- PanaVue - Image stitching software; assembles multiple photos to build genuine mosaics or vast panoramas; also creates complete 360º panoramas in Apple's QuickTime® VR format
- Panorama Tools - The PanoTools sourceforge project
- Panorama Tools Download by Max Lyons - From this page you can download the files from Dersch's Panorama Tools used by PTAssembler
- PT Open GUI - This program uses Helmut Dersch's Panorama tools
- PTAssembler - A helper program for Helmut Dersch's Panorama Tools
- PTGui - A panoramic stitching software for Windows and Mac OSX
- Kees's Terragen - Visualizations of Mars with DEM and Terragen; excellent website by Kees Veenenbos
- Michiel de Boer's Terragen Site - A personal homepage with a lot of Terragen galleries
- Planetside - The Home of Terragen - a photorealistic 3D landscape rendering & visualization software
- Terragen.org and the Ashundar Terragen Community - Terragen galleries, terrain files, forums, links, and many more...
- TerraNights - Dreams with Terragen - Terragen picture galleries by Lissy
3D computer graphics
- Blender - Open source software for 3D modeling, animation, rendering, post-production, interactive creation and playback.
- Christoph's Page - Rendering planets - Rendering the Earth and other planets by using POV-Ray; website by Christoph Hormann
- HiRISE DTM from PDS IMG - This plugin for Blender imports a HiRISE DTM that is formatted as a PDS IMG file, reads the embedded PDS label and decodes the raster elevations to create a mesh.
- LRO Lola & MGS Mola .img Importer - This plugin imports a DTM of the Moon (LRO Lola) or from Mars (MGS Mola) into Blender, reads the embedded PDS label and decodes the raster elevations to create a mesh.
- POV-Ray - The Persistence of Vision Raytracer - A high-quality, free tool for creating 3D graphics
- Views of the Earth - artificial images of our real planet - by Christoph Hormann